Wednesday 19 September 2012

Tees festival



Tees festival

After being worn out from the multitude of occasions for me to dance and being stuffed from constant eating, although I know they were only making me feel welcome and I very much enjoyed it, I arrived back in Tansen deciding I wouldn’t be eating tea tonight and that I was glad for a brief respite from the dancing. I sat down only to be given a large plate of daal baat and to be informed that the Tees festival was in full swing. The Tees festival is a celebration of married life from the point of view of the wife. It is a woman only festival as they sing songs that, I’m assuming, could possibly offend their husbands, because they describe the hardships of married life. I was a little relieved to find this out, as it meant I could have an early night. However, they had made an exception for me (possibly due to my lack of Nepali), which meant I could attend and there would be more dancing. It was good and fun, but when the power cut out after about an hour and an half and the lights and CD player cut out I made a quick escape and played games with the children for the remainder of the evening. 

Me dancing at the Tees festival, when all I wanted to do was have a sleep. The red dresses signify that the woman is married, it is a traditional costume of the Tansen area.


Well the Tees festival has been carrying on till last night (Tuesday), which meant the schools have been closed so I have been unable to go to Bagnas school. Well I did go and meet the teachers to explain the twinning programme and meet a few of the children but it was only for two hours, so I never go to do any teaching. I was also assured by the teacher that the school would be open this week (this was on Sunday) but it hasn’t been. Also I found out that due to another festival starting tomorrow all school have been shut all week; therefore, this week I haven’t/won’t be able to continue with the programme. What can I say, they do love their festivals here! It’s kind of annoying as I want to get into the school and start teaching, but it was actually rather useful these past three day because I caught some sort of virus thing which was exactly like the flu but with no cold. So I have slept almost consistently since Sunday afternoon and I feel a lot better now; however, not I do have the cold part but out the fever, so that’s good.

No comments:

Post a Comment