Tuesday 30 October 2012

Pipaldanda




The children and teachers outside the school


Pipaldanda


So I and my visit to Pipaldanda which I was informed was notorious for its poor toilet facilities: non-existent in the school, they just use some scrubland next to the school and the only proper one is a hole in the ground in a pitch black room next to a pig sty. I’ve seen worse in England at festivals though. It is a small primary school compared to others I have been to, just over 100 children. It is a very beautiful area though, unfortunately though my camera ran out of battery due to taking photos of the building work.
I’ve got to say these are some of the friendliest teachers I’ve met so far, possibly as I know the head-teacher and the English teacher rather well, as they are close friends of Mahendra. The school chairman is a great guy though, he is so happy. The village is a very close-knit community with the family group and mothers group having a large presence in the village.
They do love a good party here in Pipaldanda, I was only here two nights but the parties continued until 2 a.m. starting around 7 p.m. I had to bow out early though as I was shattered. But they are great fun; everyone is involved in the dancing and music, compared to most other villages where it seems to be a small select group.
Some of picture me and Joti (in the doorway) did, well the children did,
to liven up the room, I think it looks more sad.
Due to only being here two nights and one day was taken up with welcome ceremony, I could only teach for one day. They combined the children into two classes for me, Year 1, 2 and 3, and Years 4 and 5. To be honest though this was more of a hindrance, as the wide spread of developmental levels made pitching the teaching difficult. We did some work on expressions, animals, colours and some art, mainly drawings, to brighten up the walls. I just hope they stay up, as they were stuck to the walls with sticks jammed into the brick work. I’m taking glue next time.  

Showing off their dancing skills
Welcome to year four, climbing on the cement powder and bricks was discouraged
There has been a lot of building work here, due to ManishaUK most of which is not completed but once it is there will be a new set of classrooms, a library, new office, guest room for visitors, shops for the village, a playground and much needed toilets for the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment