Wednesday 10 October 2012

Pipaldanda



Pipaldanda

The staff and children

 

It took a long time to reach Pipaldanda from Jekhsang, mainly due to the slow going on the mountain roads. We had also picked up a large group of people from the three of us before, me Joti and Soren we were joined my 6 others, including Mahendra who was there to see the progress of the building work. I was met with the tikka and festooned with garlands, twice up the point when I could not see they were pilled so high. He then had a lengthy welcome ceremony that lasted from early afternoon until 1am at which point I was shattered and when to bed.
The next day I got to do the twinning programme and teach four classes. It is a very small primary school so class 1, 2 and 3, and class 4 and 5 were combined; therefore, I got to teach everyone at least twice. The day ended with another celebratory programme which continued until about 2am this time. During this time I was coerced into learning a Nepali song, I have no qualms about this, but I was not to keen at having to sing it several times unaccompanied to the entire village. However, they clearly enjoyed it, especially the children so it was all good in the end.
The next day we had to leave at 10 so I was unable to do any teaching, but am looking forward to going back. Although hopefully the parties may end a little earlier next time 6am-2am is too long of a day for me, especially when there is teaching to be done.
Until the top floor is finished there is only three classrooms for the five classes
The school has been majorly re-constructed, as can be seen in the photographs. Now that is it the end of the monsoon season progress should advance quickly and by my next visit there should be a considerable improvement, as the school is in a poor state at the moment. 
The playground has unfortunately been overrun by building work

No comments:

Post a Comment