Saturday 22 December 2012

Week off



Week off

A real life mountain leopard!
Model of a Yeti: tilt to view
So for the ten days off I went to Pokhara for a week and had a few days in Tansen. Mainly I went to Pokhara because Barbara was leaving and was spending a few nights there on her way home and also to spend a few days hanging out with a some foreigners. After she left it made me realise how much you miss having people from home to talk to, I hadn’t actually noticed before. It is rather difficult though. I miss Christmas too but hopefully I’ll be in Pokhara then, depends on the timetable really. Anyway, I spent the rest of my time in Pokhara just dosing around and talking to tourists who were also travelling on their own, it was good. One day I went to the mountaineering museum which was actually really interesting, it shows the history of mountain living and hiking over the years in Nepal and also contrasts it with other mountain communities. For example, the Germanic groups who lived in the Alps 50 years ago, the photos where almost identical. It is bizarre. I tell you what if you’re getting the local busses in Nepal be careful of subterfuge. Firstly, I asked a taxi driver to take me the bus station but he decided against that and took me to a regular bus stop and insisted it was the station, it wasn’t. Then the bus conductor swore blind that the bus was going to the station, it didn’t but it did go to where I wanted to go.
View from the hotel
One more thing, a big sorry to the avid fans of the kinder egg but Nepal has vastly improved on its design. They have unfortunately lost the egg that you eat; however, it is now a plastic egg, one half with the toy and the other half filled with smooth kinder chocolate flavoured moose (not the animal but I can’t spell it right, you know what I mean). You also get a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment